Sunday, September 7, 2008

What a Weekend

It's been a super cool, super fun, super busy past couple of days. There is so much that I want to write about, but it's going to have to wait for the time being. Partly because I'm waiting on some pictures I want to post (from Elliot's first day of preschool....he's getting so big...*sniff, sniff*) and partly because I'm exhausted! Even though we've had some really fun things going on, we also, as Elliot has been telling anyone who will listen, "had a bad night" last night.

I was having a really hard time getting to sleep but finally drifted off to dreamland around 1:30. At 3:30, a car alarm started going off in the parking lot. Followed by other car alarms beeping on and off as just about everyone within hearing range checked to make sure it wasn't their car. Except for the car that actually had the alarm going off. Elliot woke up terrified, but luckily Evie slept right through it (I'm not exactly sure how, but I'm counting it as a miracle that will of course get many thanks in my prayers tonight).

After another neighbor called the police, and they finally got in contact with the owner, the alarm was silenced (hallelujah!) around 4. But BJ, Elliot, and I were WIDE awake. Elliot actually seemed slightly traumatized. He wouldn't stop talking about it (and hasn't stopped all day). He kept saying "that noisy car scared me. I freaked out. I cried. That noisy car needs to stop....I'm gonna shoot it with my pop gun and make it shut up!". It was really kind of funny, but after two more hours of that talk we were beyond relieved when he finally went back to sleep around 6. But he's still been talking about it all day, we finally had to tell him that the car went to sleep and tonight would be a GOOD night.....I think he bought it :)

The funny thing is, that when we finally felt like rolling out of bed to rush and get ready for church.....the POWER WENT OUT! Holy moly! Trying to bathe a baby and a toddler by candlelight is neither relaxing nor romantic (which are the only reasons why anyone would WANT to bathe by candlelight that I can think of) it is just plain silly. And time consuming. And I was not too keen on the idea of going to church with wet hair. And I was making my opinion known to BJ when the lights came back on. "Woohoo! Somebody sure loves me!" Unfortunately I wasted those few precious moments of light (yep, the power went out again) BRUSHING MY TEETH instead of drying my hair. So I got to go to church with wet hair anyway. And we were late. And Elliot was noisy. And we forgot a spoon to use to feed Evie. Oh well, what can you do?

There's no way our neighbors could have known that their alarm would go off in the middle of the night, and we really do still love them, so I hope they don't feel bad. It really was a circumstance beyond their control and a funny beginning to a series of unfortunate events that acted as the finale to our weekend. And the reason why I'm too tired to write about Elliot's first day of school, or our family fun night last night. Lame excuse, I know, especially since I just spent a half hour writing out this story.

BUT, I did make some pretzels that I saw on Throwdown with Bobby Flay, and they turned out great! So maybe our luck is changing........*knocks on wood* ;)

Oh, and I will be sure to post all the new, fun pictures I have tomorrow!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

i heard about that car alarm incidence on koreena's blog. wow...what a weekend!

angela said...

I love to read your blog. You crack me up.

Koreena said...

Oh my goodness! I feel TERRIBLE that the alarm scared Elliot so much! I'm so so sorry! We're taking care to make sure it doesn't do that again, so hopefully it won't ever be a problem again. If it is, tell Elliot he's more than welcome to shoot the thing. :)