Monday, September 22, 2008

School Troubles

Don't worry, Elliot's not failing out of preschool or anything like that. Actually, he's doing quite well. He's just started getting nervous about going.

The first week of school was just like dropping him off at nursery...

me: "come give me a kiss so I can go"
Elliot: *completely surprised that I'm even still there*

This kid really couldn't care less if I drop him of at nursery. He would go by himself if I would let him. It looked like school was going to be the same way. Until last week.

Last Monday we got up and got ready for school. All the while, Elliot would say, "you're gonna come lif me right?" . I would assure him that I was. But when we got there, he wouldn't leave my side. And he got his really pouty, starting to tear up look. He kept rubbing his eyes like he was going to cry. So I closed the door and decided to stay for a few minutes.

He ran off to join the other kids in their morning songs. He would smile and do the actions. So I would think he was fine and inch toward the door. BUT then he would turn around, get all pouty again and say "don't leave, stay lif me" and start crying. So I would step away from the door and he would join back in with the songs. This went on about four or five times when I finally got up the nerve, booked it for the door, didn't look back, and made my escape.

Unfortunately, the door squeeks.

And with the window open, I could easily hear the sobs that followed. "I...want.....my......MOMMY!!!" It triggered a ripple effect, and next thing I new there were at least 5 other kids just as noisily realizing that their mommies weren't there either. I felt guilty but I made a run for it.

Luckily, his teacher has 20 years experience with this sort of thing and assured me that he was just fine when I picked him up a couple hours later. But this one "fluke" day has started a trend. The days since HAVE been better but he still doesn't want me to leave.

In fact, this morning, he had to talk himself into it.

me: "Elliot, we're going to school.....it's going to be so FUN!"
Elliot: "yay! hahaha"
me: "Arent' you so excited?"
Elliot: "yep! we're gonna see my school friends and sing songs"
me: "Yes! It's going to be SO FUN!!!"
Elliot: *giggles*

----long pause------

Elliot (to himself): "School not a bad place......school a happy place"

Gah! It just kills me! I just want to save him from all the things that make him sad or uncomfortable. But I know that's not my job as a mommy. And I know he has a blast once he settles in for the day. Plus it's only two hours. Right?

Thank goodness Friday is field trip day and I'm already going on that anyway!

2 comments:

Amy said...

"I felt guilty but I made a run for it."

My husband and I had a good laugh over this!

angela said...

That's so sad. Hopefully the trend ends soon. And it is only two hours.