Saturday, October 11, 2008

I Actually Did It!

I actually followed through and entered the 8th International Art Competition that I previously talked about. It took til the very last minute, but I finished the picture and submitted it yesterday. The first round of judging isn't set to be complete until the end of the year. If they like it enough they'll ask me to bring it to the museum and then judge it again. We'll see what they think. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out though :)

Here it is.....



For those of you who are interested, it is graphite on illustration board, measuring 19 inches by 19 inches. The title is Fear Not, I am with Thee. And here is the description I submitted with it.....


"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest…
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matt. 11:28 and 30)

"The meaning of this scripture was made very real to me shortly after the birth of my first child. Not only was I filled with the normal fear and apprehension of a new parent, but I was also afraid for his life. He was born premature, extremely small, and unable to even breathe for himself. All I could do during that time was to rely on the love and promises of our Savior. As I prayed for my son and for the strength to face this trial, I felt these words at work in my life. Just as I held and protected my son the only way I knew how, I knew I was being cradled in the loving arms of my Savior. And He gave me rest."

There you go. I'll try to remember to let you know how it turns out.

Oh, and since I missed Thankful Thursday because I was working away.....I just wanted to give a quick shout out to my mom. She took time out of her busy schedule to watch my kids and allow me to follow my dreams......even though I waited til the last minute. So what else is new....right, Mom? Thanks for everything!

10 comments:

Koreena said...

That is BEAUTIFUL! I love it. Way to go on getting it done!

Lisa said...

WOW!!! What talent! I hope the judges love it as much as I do. Beautiful work :)

Elliot's Magah said...

Brookie, I was so glad to be able to help you with the kids while you worked away. And she did work too! She worked sometimes 12 hours a day. I am not sure how many people understand the effort that is involved in this kind of undertaking, especially with two little babies on top of it all! It was a pleasure to watch them and it was a pleasure to watch you work again. I think the finished product is fabulous...I think you are fabulous!

Love,

Mom

MJ said...

Brooke, that is absolutely beautiful. It seems to shine like the light of your soul is in it. Thanks for inspiring me today!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. It's really beautiful.

p.s. Miss you!

Aprilyn said...

Your picture is beautiful!! I'm glad you entered your work. I hope you can continue to share your talents. You are sure lucky to have such a great mother.

sbagley said...

WOW Brooke, amazing work. You've inspired me to do something amazing and for myself...will your mom watch my kids??? Ha Ha. You really are amazing inside and out. Love ya!!!

angela said...

You are amazing. Knowing your story, I knew exactly what the picture represented before reading anything. What a powerful piece of art! Keep it up and please be sure to update us on what happens with the judging.

Jill + Nate said...

Oh my goodness Brooke that artwork is amazing! You are so talented. I feel absolutely terrible about not letting you know about the blessing. Really both Nate and I feel sick about it. We decided on the date late in the game and had so much family around and so much going on we just weren't thinking. We still love you and hope you want to be our friends. Hope we see you soon. We need to plan an outing.

Emily Rocks said...

Me gusta mucho! Great job brooklyn! :) Takes me back to our late night drawing parties for brother parson's class. I miss those days, it sure was fun. I'm so glad to see that you're fulfilling your dreams and maximizing your talents, you are one of the most talented artists i know. I hope i can be like you some day! i love you!