Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Couple Things I Love About My Kids

So I was thinking last night and throughout the day today just how content I am with my life right now. I feel like I'm starting to hit my stride a little with this mommy thing. I know I don't really get it all. I'm still learning everyday. But I feel like I'm finally really enjoying myself, rather than holding on for dear life. So I thought I would take this chance to list some of the things that I just LOVE about my kids......

The way they smell (when they are clean, of course). But I'm not talking the smell of the baby soap or lotion....I love the smell of my actual kids. I don't know what it is, but I do.

That Evie has loved to be told she's pretty since she was just itty bitty. I know you think I'm making this up, but I swear from the time she first learned to smile she has smiled EVERY time we tell her she's pretty. She knows what it means. I promise.

How "I love you" is the first thing Elliot says when he comes into our room in the morning. I also love that he tells me I'm beautiful and that I'm his favorite.

The brief moments throughout the day when Elliot says "I wanna hold you" and he really means it. Sometimes he only says that to get down from the kitchen table or because he's jealous when I'm holding Evie, but there are other times when he really wants to be held. I know those moments won't last forever so I'll take as many as I can get.

Similarly, I love it when Evie rests her head on my shoulder and sucks her thumb. That's her way of giving a hug and it means just as much as when Elliot wants to be held.

Watching Elliot wave and blow kisses to his daddy when we leave in the morning.

How Elliot can be found singing various songs at the top of his lungs throughout the day. He'll sing anything and everything.....from Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam to the Indiana Jones theme.

That no matter how many times he has pinched or knocked her down, Evie still LOVES Elliot and follows him everywhere.

How Evie loves ice cream (whoops, I mean of course she hasn't tasted any yet) as much as her mommy does. And how her smile just lights up the room and gets everyone's attention. Her happiness really does spread like wildfire. She's our little angel.

When I'm lucky enough to be able to hold Elliot for a while, I love to put my hand on his chest to feel the gentle rise and fall from his breathing. And the feel the strong steady beat of his heart. There was a time that I was worried he wouldn't be able to do that on his own, and now that it's second nature to him I am so grateful. He's our miracle.

Maybe now each of you can take a chance to list the lovely qualities of someone special to you. If they are old enough to understand, maybe you could even tell them a couple.....you might just hear a couple in return :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Your kids are so cute!

Koreena said...

That was so sweet. You should print that out and keep a copy in their baby books or a journal or something. And refer back to it on the days you want to pull your hair out. :)

Glad things are going so well for you right now!!

angela said...

Oh man, you made me cry. What a sweet post.