Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Playtime and Teary Eyes

Tears for me, that is.

Today we went to the mall. My brother needed a hair cut so we headed down to the Tree house play area to wait for him. Elliot was in seventh heaven. He was beyond excited. Probably because we haven't really let him play there before (too paranoid about germs....but with bathed him in hand sanitizer when he was done so I'm sure he'll be fine).

I can't believe what a big boy he is. Actually he's still smaller than most of the kids, but he's oh so grown up. And so friendly too. Before I even had a chance to sit down he was running around playing with another little boy and just having the time of his life. At one point he almost collided with another little boy. The boy then pushed him over and Elliot did a face plant. He cried for a minute, but after a quick kiss to his nose he was good as new.

Later, I noticed he had moved to a different part of the play area. There were some older kids there and I don't think they really wanted him hanging around. They said something to him. And he started talking back to them. Now, when he gets excited or angry he generally starts to yell and pace back and forth and wave his arms around. The kids thought this was really funny. I sat there and watched as they would provoke him, watch him get worked up for a minute, drop down on their knees (so they were closer to his height), open and close their mouths in a very exaggerated way, wave their arms around and then just laugh and laugh at how hysterical they were for mocking him like that.

I was shocked. They were clearly just making fun of him. He's only three....he doesn't know. But it made his mommy want to cry. As they started into their third time of this routine I marched myself over there, took my little boy by the hand and said to him "come on Elliot, lets go play over here" then I turned to the other kids and said "these big kids are making fun of you and it's not very nice". Now it was their turn to be shocked. They didn't know I had been watching.

Elliot still didn't understand what I meant, which is fine. There was no reason for his feelings to be hurt....he wasn't doing anything wrong. I know I can't protect him from everything. And I know he's going to come in contact with tons of kids that will make fun of him for his size, or the things he likes, or just pick on him for no good reason. But I want to protect him from all of that. No matter what he will always be my little miracle. One of the things in my life that means more than anything else. My little boy.

Ugh....mean people stink!!

But he's a tough little guy, and he'll be just fine no matter what. Even if his mommy can't save him from all the hurt in this world. He's already overcome far worse than playground bullies.





On a lighter and more interesting note....Elliot went down the slide ALL by himself today. He's been scared until now. But today he did it! BJ and I weren't even close by....in fact it's lucky we even saw him do it at all. When I asked him about it after bedtime prayers he was SO proud of himself :) AND Evie ate her first slice of pizza (all cut up in tiny pieces, but pizza none the less). A WHOLE piece. Why do they have to grow up so fast?

2 comments:

Aprilyn said...

I hate mean people!!!! Elliot is so cute. I'm sorry those mean kids made fun of him.

My step-Mom's granddaughter (spoiled brat) called Marshall a retard because he was really excited and started jumping around and flapping his hands. I got SOOOO mad! My child is NOT a retard!!! He is so smart but he just has a few problems to manage. Grrr!!

angela said...

Good for you for sticking up for him and putting those kids in their place.