Monday, January 5, 2009

A Big Change

And an equally big boy!

Yesterday was Elliot's first day of Primary. He moved up from nursery to the Sunbeam class at church. It's a really big change. He has to sit still, have a real lesson, and he doesn't get playtime anymore.

We've been prepping him for this change for a couple weeks and he seemed to be okay with the idea. But on Saturday night, when we were talking about what to expect at church the next day, he seemed a little apprehensive. After he went to sleep I had a long chat with my mom and she convinced me that I might have to go with him the first time or two. So I mentally prepared myself for going to Primary.

During Sacrament meeting, his teacher stood up to bear her testimony. When she did, I quietly leaned over to Elliot and said "look Elliot, that is your new teacher!" in the most excited whisper I could manage. He looked up at her and listened carefully to what she said then he looked at me and smiled. When it was time for Primary, we walked to the Primary room and his teacher was there waiting. I was prepared for tears and a bunch of "no, Mommy....don't leave me"s but he just grabbed her hand and went right in. Without a single peep.

After the meetings were over I went to pick him up and he looked a little sad. His teacher was holding his hand, and as soon as he saw me he started to cry. It turns out he had gotten a paper cut and his finger was bleeding. He kept saying "I not get cut, I'm fine now, I not hurt.......I'm better now". He wasn't worried about his cut finger at all. He was worried that since he had cut his finger at Primary that we weren't going to let him go back! Silly boy! I guess you could say we've been a little overprotective if that's the first thing he thought of :)

He doesn't have a thing to worry about. We are just relieved that he had a good time. And we hope he has as much fun next week!

1 comment:

angela said...

What a big boy! So proud of him.