Monday, March 2, 2009

New Adventures

Due to some extenuating circumstances in my extended family, we are (unfortunately) taking a break from the Preemie Tee making business. My mom needs to take a break and focus more of her attention on some family matters. I totally support her in this decision, but it was more than a little sad when we packaged up the last orders a few days ago. I have devoted so much of my time for the past three years to this business. It's meant so much to me to be able to "give back". To feel like I was repaying some of the blessings we were given while in the NICU, even in the smallest of ways. Of course I'll never be able to repay all the miracles that were performed on our behalf, but it was nice to think that we might have been making the NICU roller-coaster ride a little easier for someone else.

This isn't the end of Elliot's Preemie Tees. Just a break. At least that's what my mom says. I hope she's right.

Anyway, here I sit at a crossroad. I'm sad to be leaving my Preemie Tee making days behind (even temporarily) but I'm excited to try my hand at being a real stay at home mom. I think I did the stay at home thing for a couple of months. Elliot was still completely immobile when I started helping my mom though. And I'm beginning to realize how NOT stay at home I've been over the past three years. Even though I have called myself a stay at home mom, I think it would have been more accurate to call myself a working mom who just happened to have her kids with her all day too. I see now lots of ways that I've been distracted and lots of ways that my family has sacrificed for me to be able to help with the business. But that is all going to change.

In fact it started changing today. I made a weekly menu and did REAL grocery shopping for the first time in who knows how long. I about passed out when it came time to pay the cashier for the food even though it was far less that what we have been spending. Fast food is SO convenient, especially when you've been working all day. But it adds up really fast. Now I'll actually have time to cook real dinners, and save our family some money. Plus I have several closets that are just dying to be cleaned out. A quilt and some Christmas stockings to finish. Some redecorating to do. Places to explore. Playgroups to attend (at least I hope....they might not even have a playgroup around anymore) And a branch full of people I'm dying to get to know (after nearly four years of living here).

I'm a little scared too. Who knows if I'll be any good at any of this. I guess there's only one way to find out.

3 comments:

Tami said...

I bet you will be great! :D

Koreena said...

Wow! Good luck with the change! Playgroup is still every Wednesday at 10 at the church (for now.) :)

Julie Slack said...

You be a wonderful stay at home Mom Brooke!!!! proud of you!!!!