Wednesday, January 7, 2009

This Night, Last Year

I couldn't sleep then either. I was too anxious about heading to the hospital first thing in the morning to finally meet my baby girl. I was nervous about having another c-section but mostly just excited to hold Evie in my arms for the first time. I can't believe it's been a whole year. Now she's walking all over, and even starting to talk. Time goes by so quickly.

Tonight, I guess I can't sleep because I can't stop thinking about last year.

Elliot spent the night at my mom's house so we wouldn't have to wake him up so early. We had to be to the hospital by 5 am, I think. It might have been earlier. I can't remember for sure. Just like my c-section with Elliot, the nurse had to call the anesthesiologist to place my IV.....I have bad veins and she couldn't get it. And before I knew it I was laying on the operating table waiting for my second baby to be born. I remember listening to my doctors talk to each other. The one that was assisting wished the other a Happy Birthday and he said it was a great day to be born. Funny how Evie shares a birthday with the doctor that delivered her. It wasn't very long until I heard her crying. It was such a beautiful sound.....one I didn't hear for quite a while with Elliot. They took her to the opposite corner of the room to get her cleaned up. BJ couldn't keep his eyes from the corner of the room. I could tell that he didn't want to leave me but that he wanted to be with her too. So I told him to go.

After a couple minutes the nurse brought her over to me. She took her little hat off to show me that she had red hair and then she rested her on my shoulder so I could say hello and give her a kiss. It was comforting for us both to have her near me. But the doctors needed to examine her and make sure she was okay, so she and BJ went to the nursery while my doctors finished stitching me up. They wheeled me to recovery. I thought I would be there for a while. That is how I remembered it from when Elliot was born. This time was a lot different though. I was in a room all by myself. BJ was with Evie and we told everyone else to wait to come until later. And I was only there a short time before the nurses came back and took me to my room.

When I got to my room, BJ was still with Evie. So I called my mom to tell her the surgery was done, I was fine, BJ was still with the baby, and she could come up any time she wanted. It didn't even cross my mind that Evie was having any troubles.....I just thought that BJ couldn't tear himself away from his little princess. He's always wanted a little girl after all. So it wasn't until much later when I found out she had had a little breathing trouble and spent some time on a c-pap. I slept a little before my mom came. While she was there was when BJ and Evie finally came back. She was so beautiful and absolutely perfect. At that moment it seemed so silly that I had ever worried that I wouldn't have enough love for both of my babies.

It was a lot easier to recover from that second c-section. It did take a while to adjust to two kids. But now we wonder how we ever got along without her. She's amazing and we love her SO much. She's our angel. Happy Birthday baby girl, we love you!!


4 comments:

Koreena said...

That year DID go by really fast! Happy birthday to sweet Evie!

angela said...

So sweet. It's so nice to remember those special days. I'm so happy she came healthy so there wasn't that extra stress this time around.

Aprilyn said...

I'm glad you had the experience of a full-term baby too. She's beautiful. I love the red hair!

Whitney said...

I hope you remember me, Whitney Vrska from Thorneberry. I look at your blog from time to time. It is so fun to look at Evie because she is so close in age to Taelee! I hope all is going well for you guys!