Sunday, August 24, 2008

And the Mother of the Year Award goes to........

So today was just one of those days, and look what we have to show for it. Don't worry, it's not a cast, there are no broken bones. But we do have a pretty good burn that stretches the full length of that bandage :(

Let me back up a little......

This morning we were in a bit of a hurry. Yeah, it's Sunday, and Sundays are always a little chaotic. But today was a little more hectic than usual. We had a missionary "farewell" (I know that's not what they really are anymore) to go to, and we were supposed to pick up Ashley and her friend Sharon on the way. So I got up and started getting ready while BJ and the kids slept a little longer. By the time they were up, we only had about thirty minutes to finish getting ready. So BJ put the kids in the bath (their first bath together and the pictures are really cute....I'll post them when I'm done feeling sorry for myself) and I went to iron my skirt. When I was done, I unplugged the iron and put it up on the counter, safely out of the way, or so I thought. Then I went about my business of trying to get things ready to go.

While I was madly trying to gather the massive amounts of toys, books and snacks that are required to keep two kids reverent (or at the very least....quiet) during church, Elliot spotted a step stool left too close to the counter and an egg timer which must have been calling very enticing things out to him. I barely saw him out of the corner of my eye and briefly said "Elliot get down, and stay out of things that aren't yours!" while shuffling around for the fruit snacks. I forgot all about the hot iron that was mere inches away from where he was playing. That is, UNTIL I heard the screaming. Yep, that's right, his hand met the iron and the iron did NOT make a good first impression.

The burn was pretty bad and I was worried we would need to take him to the doctor. But after some burn ointment, an awesome and slightly over the top bandaging job, and a few silent prayers in his mommy's heart.....it looks like he's going to be okay. Phew!

Needless to say, the stool is no longer by the counter, the iron will not be left out any more, and we were a lot later (but still miraculously on time) to church than we intended to be. Sorry Ash for not making it to pick you up, but thank you mom for dropping her off!

On the positive side.....Elliot's jammies are not lying....he is, in fact AWESOME!

1 comment:

LCL said...

poor thing. poor mommy.